I should upgrade a Service Manager 2012 SP1 with CU4 installation to R2 but after an hour of trying to import the ProblemManagement.mpb the Setup failed with the following message:
Finalize: An error occurred while executing a custom action:_MPProcessorDeferred Upgrade failed after making permanent changes to this management server. A disaster recovery procedure will be necessary to rebuild this machine before attempting upgrade again. Consult the User Guide to determine which action to take next.
After the Setup failed it started rollback automatically, but afterward the Service Manager did not work. I had to manually login with SQL Server Management Studio and reattach the ServiceManager database as it had been detached.
Going through the log files I found the following:
- ImportMsiPackage: Loading management pack C:Program FilesMicrosoft System Center 2012Service ManagerProblemManagement.mpb. 13:03:06
- ImportBundle: We are using the Client API to load the MP.
- ImportBundle: Created the package reader.
- ImportBundle: Read the msi package.
- ImportBundle: Error: Unable to load management pack C:Program FilesMicrosoft System Center 2012Service ManagerProblemManagement.mpb
Verification failed with 2 errors:
Error 1: Found error in 2|ServiceManager.ProblemManagement.Configuration|7.5.3079.0|ServiceManager.ProblemManagement.Configuration|| with message: Could not load management pack <ID=Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Authoring, KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version=7.5.2905.0>. The management pack was not found in the store.
- An error occurred while loading management pack c799c9be-19c5-42e0-989a-3e013c6d27af from the database Reading from the management pack XML file failed with an XML exception.The ‘Description’ start tag on line 1 does not match the end tag of ‘DescriMaxLe’. Line 1, position 88438. ——————————————————- Error 2: Found error in 2|ServiceManager.ProblemManagement.Configuration|7.5.3079.0|ServiceManager.ProblemManagement.Configuration|| with message: Could not load management pack <ID=System.Library, KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version=7.5.8501.0>. The management pack was not found in the store.
- An error occurred while loading management pack 01c8b236-3bce-9dba-6f1c-c119bcdc2972 from the database Database error. MPInfra_p_MPSelectByManagementPackId failed with exception: ExecuteScalar requires an open and available Connection. The connection’s current state is closed.
MSI (s) (48:6C) [14:03:38:471]: Note: 1: 2769 2: _MPProcessorDeferred 3: 5801 MPProcessor: Error: Failed to load MSI C:Program FilesMicrosoft System Center 2012Service Manager ProblemManagement.mpb DEBUG: Error 2769: Custom Action _MPProcessorDeferred did not close 5801 MSIHANDLEs. The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2769. The arguments are: _MPProcessorDeferred, 5801, MSI (s) (48:6C) [14:03:38:473]: NOTE: custom action _MPProcessorDeferred unexpectedly closed the hInstall handle (type MSIHANDLE) provided to it. The custom action should be fixed to not close that handle. CustomAction _MPProcessorDeferred returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
I have not found anyone else with similar failure, and am going to investigate this and hopefully provide a solution. Suggestions would be appreciated.
I tried again today and to be certin no other services was performing anything against the Service Manager database directly or inderecly trough the Management Servers i stopped the System Center Data Access Service, System Center Management and System Center Management Configuration on the Secondary Management Server, Disabled IIS on the Portal Server and configured the firewall on the Management Server and Database Server to only allow trafic between the two servers.